Sunday 23 October 2011

Ginger Bundt Cake




  • What should I wear?

I seem to be asking myself this everyday and not it a normal "my wardrobe is full, but I have no clothes and hate everyone way" but because the weather is so random. Hot, cold, humid, rainy?!....who knows. Now as much as I love it not being too cold, I would rather the weather made up it's mind and I knew what was going on. I mean it's October, enough already, I want my cool crisp nights and snugly jumpers!

If the weather won't embrace the correct season I sure as heck will! Cue this spicy, rich ginger cake! I absolutely love winter and am really looking forward to Halloween, Fireworks night and Christmas (but we won't mention that yet). Anything that reminds me of the winter season is a favourite in my book. Ginger is so warm, flavoursome and lovely in this cake.
  • I used to make Bundt cake's all the time with my mum and grandma in america. They always produce moist cakes - something to do with not having to cook the middle of the cake - and they look great.

The trouble is getting it out of the tin (you can only grease the crevices so much) but it always seems to break a bit every time. I mean I don't mind so much because I use icing as a sort of glue which means you may get more icing as an added bonus when you tuck in.

I was super pleased recently when I found a silicone bundt tin! It is great, the cake comes out of the tin perfect every time.
  • I used a recipe from Allrecipes.co.uk. I love this site, It's really useful reading people's comments and making a tried and tested recipe. I did adjust it slightly because of the comments- my version is ingredients below.
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 125g butter
  • 1 egg
  • 100ml treacle
  • 125g Golden syrup
  • 300g plain flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2/3 teaspoon ground ginger (or use fresh if you can)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 250ml hot water

I topped it with cinnamon cream but it would also go great with cream cheese icing.

1. Whisk double cream, with half a teaspoon of cinnamon, until it forms soft peaks.
2. Slather on top - lovely and fresh!

7 comments:

  1. This cake looks fab! I really like ginger in cakes. I might have to try this in my bundt tin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the amount of icing on the top, nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake looks sooo good and ginger cake is one of the best - especially at this time of year. I've been looking for a silicone ring mould for ages but have had no success so far. I've never cooked with a ring mould before, but I really like the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!

    MissCakeBaker - Do try it, it's yum. Using fresh ginger makes it even better.

    Nom! - Me too, I such an icing junkie!

    Choclette - I have completely forgotten where I got it from for some reason but I just googled it and quite a few results came up. I definately recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love ginger cakes this time of year! Delicious Cakefairy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, a bit of cold weather is well overdue! What a fabulous looking cake. GG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh yummy! I have had a bundt tin for 6 months now and not yet had the courage to try it out but this looks awesome, especially now the weather is turning chilly! Looks fab and I love the sound of cinnamon cream!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a message! I really appreciate it and hope you have enjoyed my blog.