Tuesday 6 September 2011

Pina Colada Cupcakes

Hi all


I have given up drinking alcohol for a little while but not eating it, hence the cocktail related cupcakes! I made these cupcakes for my friend Cats 25th birthday. 


The fruity cupcake contrasts really nicely with the meringue topping. The Malibu is quite strong in the icing but still yummy. I have changed the icing recipe for icing sugar instead of caster sugar as the icing was quite grainy.


These aren't the prettiest cupcakes, as you can see the cupcake case is peeling back from the cake. I read some forums to find out how to stop this, is it sad that I enjoyed it! The main tip was to make sure you take the cupcakes out of the baking tray and put them straight on a cooling rack after they come out of the oven. This stops the steam building up and making the paper peel. I've also bought some muffin cupcakes cases, that haven't peeled so far, from this website http://www.craftcompany.co.uk/


This recipe is taken from "EAT ME, The stupendous, self raising world of cupcakes and bakes according to by Cookie girl". Lovely recipe book with some really interesting cake ideas.


55g unsalted butter
140g caster sugar
120ml coconut milk
1 egg
140g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
425g pineapple pieces

  1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line your tin with cupcakes cases. This recipe is for 12 medium size cupcakes, not muffins.
  2. Cream together butter and sugar. Whisk in the coconut milk and egg.
  3. Sift in the flour and baking powder.
  4. I like the pineapple pieces small so I cut them so they are about 1cm x1cm. Fold them in the batter.
  5. Divide them in to the cupcake cases and bake for 20mins.

Malibu Meringue Icing

120g icing sugar
1 egg white
2 tbsp malibu rum
  1. Put all the ingredients in a pyrex (or heatproof) bowl and put this over a saucepan of hot (not boiling) water.
  2. Use an electric whisk to whisk the mixture until it is 'meringue like' and forms soft peaks. This may take 6 minutes. 
  3. Decorate your cupcakes straight away so the icing doesn't set.
  4. Cover in pretty things!

You can see a sneak peak of my amazing cupcake carrier in this photo. I will put a new post up with details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a message! I really appreciate it and hope you have enjoyed my blog.