Monday 30 May 2011

Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes


So I made these cupcakes for a friends birthday last summer. She loves Guinness and I love her so it went together perfectly! We went to see Ghost stories at the Duke of York’s theatre before I iced these. If you like jumping out of your skin then I definitely recommend this play. It was so clever and creepy  I am surprised the icing came out straight bearing in mind my hands were still shaking! I am not going to spill the tricks, lets just say I can’t look at dolls in the same way!
I carried all the cupcakes wrapped up in cling film and kitchen towel with two Tupperwares of icing and my piping stuff. They got a little bit squashed but not too badly, I iced them in the kitchen and brought them in fresh. Yum.
The Guinness in the cupcakes makes the chocolate richer and malty-er so I think they go best with vanilla cream cheese icing. I made them with vanilla and chocolate buttercream to make pretty patterns (Apologies for the poor photo quality!).
Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes
2 large eggs
125g plain, thick yoghurt or sour cream or crème fraiche
180ml Guinness
2 tsp vanilla extract
85g cocoa powder
200g caster sugar
150g all plain flour
1 tbsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons melted butter
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 (180C) and line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake cases.
2. Melt butter in microwave or on the hob, then set aside.
3. Whisk together eggs and yoghurt in a bowl, preferably with a spout. Add the Guinness and vanilla extract and whisk until well combined.
4. Sift all the dry ingredients together (cocoa powder, sugar, flour, baking soda, and cinnamon) into a separate bowl.
5. Add about a third of the dry mixture into the wet ingredients and blend well with a spatula. I tend to avoid electric mixers as they remove a lot of air from the batter. If you sieve the dry ingredients this helps to avoid lumps.  Add the rest of the dry mixture, a third at a time, mixing well after each addition.
6. When all ingredients are blended, add the melted butter then continue mixing until very well combined.
7. Pour the batter in to the cupcake cases, two thirds full, and bake for 25 minutes.
Top with cream cheese icing…delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a message! I really appreciate it and hope you have enjoyed my blog.